Friday, December 5, 2008

a Bird sized Brain

I wish birds were a little more bright. Why is it that they can manage to get into a room/garage/house and are unable to get out. Last night is a great example. A good sized bird, I would say with wing span the size of a dinner plate, got trapped in the drum room. Well not trapped... just was too stupid to get out. I opened 2 windows (the ones with out the screen) and the sliding glass door along with the door that he (I call him a HE cause a SHE would not have been so spastic or dumb) got in through. Opening these were not an easy task for me. Being dive bombed by this big crazy bird is not my idea of fun. With many escape routes it still took him 10 mins of flying into the tops of the windows, sitting on the top of the door, and running into the ceiling fan (which was off... but still comical) until he finally hit the top of the window but this time fell down through the opening. Finally free...

I'm not sure what I was more concerned about... my walls, windows and drum room contents or the bird. Or maybe it was the fact that I would have to pick the dead bird if he kept flying suicidally hard into things that I was so eager to help him escape. It was extremely cold and I had shorts and no shoes on in hopes for a quick trip outside just to turn off the lights. Nonetheless I am happy that he is free and I am hopeful that learned something from last nights adventure.

We have had other experiences with this... other smaller birds in the house, a baby flying squirrel (who was so cute and pet potential but she was most likely rabid) and numerous large dragonflies who all needed help to be free. If only God made their brains a tad bit bigger maybe they would be able to get out themselves out of these sticky situations... but then again maybe we would be over populated with birds, squirrels and bugs. It is my pledge that I can continue to help these animals in need. That is unless the animal is a snake, rat or cockroach.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Seriously....what is it with you and wildlife?!?!?!